Highland One World (HOW) Global Learning Centre is based in Inverness High School and exists to support the development of education for global citizenship in the Highlands and Islands.
HOW was established in 1992 and is a registered Scottish charity (no SC048130). We promote action for sustainability and social justice and are committed to supporting educators to develop young people as global citizens.
In addition to our centre in Inverness there are centres in Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow. We work together as the Development Education Centres Scotland (DECS).
View our 2022 – 23 Annual Report
The services HOW provide aims to develop active Global Citizenship Education through the provision of:
- Advice on embedding global citizenship/Learning for Sustainability and Rights-based learning in the formal and informal education sectors
- CLPL Training for individual teachers, whole schools and clusters
- Developing new education resources
- An extensive resource library
- Conferences and Networking events
- Tailor-made support for schools
- Mentoring for educators
Highland One World is a member of the International Development Association of Scotland (IDEAS). IDEAS is the umbrella under which global learning centres such as HOW work. In all there are about 40 members of IDEAS, the rest being agencies such as Oxfam, Christian Aid and SCIAF.